Tips for Traveling with Dogs

As an extreme dog mama, I know what it is like to want to take your dogs everywhere with you. Trust me when I say I bring my dogs everywhere they are allowed to go. However, when the pups tag along, there is more to think about than when it is just me and my husband. The pups have special needs throughout the day and aren’t able to take care of themselves as easily as a human can. Below I am going to lay out some tips for taking your pup out with you whether it is just for the day or on an extended trip.

1. Plan: Make sure you know that where you are going, your pups are actually allowed. While I fully believe dogs should be allowed everywhere, the truth is that they are not. If your pups can’t join you on every part of the journey, then its best not to bring them. You definitely don’t want to leave them in the car, but you also don’t want to get in trouble for bringing your pups places they aren’t allowed to be. Know any limitations there might be.

2. Know the law: Unfortunately, some dog breeds are banned in certain cities or they are required to follow rules that other breeds don’t have to. As a pit mix owner, I am constantly having to research Breed Specific Legislation, “BSL,” when we travel to keep my own pup safe. While he wouldn’t hurt anyone, it often doesn’t matter. Just looking like a pit mix in some cities could get my Declan in trouble. Some cities we have wanted to visit, but have not been able to because of BSL and other cities we have avoided because the laws have banned him from being in public without a muzzle. While I believe BSL is completely ridiculous, I always to have to be the one to follow the rules to keep my pit mix safe. Research the laws of the places you are trying to visit if you own a dog breed that some consider dangerous or aggressive such as a pit mix, German Shepard, Chow, Rottweiler, Akita, etc.

3. Prepare: Once you are fully aware of where your pups can go, now its time to get them prepared! They will need the following for the trip:
  • Water and a bowl to keep them hydrated. I like using a collapsible bowl to take up less space.
  • Snacks and meals if you are going to be gone from home for an extended period of time. Make sure to keep the food in air tight containers to keep it fresh. We typically feed a raw diet, but when on the road we use Stella and Chewy’s or Ziwi Pet.
  • Extra collar and leash. While your pups should always have a collar (or harness) and a leash, I like to bring an extra set on extended trips just in case something happens. 
  • ID/tags. It would be awful to have your pup get lost on a trip so an ID or tag is a must just in case. My pups have IDs on their collars with their names and our phone numbers and they are microchipped since they are rescues. Make sure all information is up to date on their IDs and their microchips.
  • Poop bags. No one likes to pick up dog poop, but as responsible dog owners we have to! Extra bags are always a good idea so there is never a time when you run out. 
  • Bug spray. Bugs love dogs and dogs love to romp in places where there are a lot of bugs. Try to use an all natural bug spray. It is better for your health, your pups' health, and the environment. I also like to bring a lint roller to swipe across my pups’ fur while I am checking for ticks after hikes to find any bugs that may be crawling around.
  • Medicine/vaccines. While I am not someone who gets all the vaccinations that are offered at the vet’s office, it is very important to get the basic ones. We make sure the pups are always up to date on their rabies vaccine, DA2PP vaccine, heart worm injection, and flea and tick medication. If your pups take other medication, make sure you also have extra of that with you.
  • First aid. Pups can get hurt just like people can. It’s best to have some basic first aid with you in case they get any injuries. I usually bring items with me that can be used as dual purpose for both my husband and I and the pups. This usually includes a wound cleaner, gauze and tape, and tweezers.
  • Beds and toys. If you are going on an extended trip, the pups always will enjoy some comforts from home such as a bed or their favorite toy. This is kind of up to you and your pups as to what you want to bring.
  • CBD oil. Some pups suffer from anxiety, especially in cars. I give both my pups CBD oil every day to help with their anxiety and provide anti-inflammatory properties. Check the type of CBD oil you use to make sure it is THC free and is free of other chemicals that some cheaper brands can have. 
  • Life vest. If you are going somewhere near water and your pups like to get in, make sure to bring a life vest since even good swimmers can get tired.
4. Have fun: Whether it is for a day outing or an extended trip, your pups are going to have a blast being out with you. Do your research and prepare yourself, and you and your pups will have a blast! Do you have any other tips you follow when taking your pups out? Comment below!


Comments

Popular Posts