My Dogs’ Diet

Like I mentioned in my last post, my dogs eat a raw diet. No kibble found here! The following is what they eat every day. The meat and veggies vary from day to day depending on availability, but it always contains the following groups of food. 
    • Muscle meat (beef, duck, pork, goat, lamb). This is the main portion of all of their meals.
    • Organ meat (mostly hearts because my pups hate liver and other organs can be hard to come by). They get this in small amounts every day. 
    • Meat and bone grind or bone powder. The farm we buy our meat from makes a meat and bone grind which is basically a ground meat consistency but includes the animals’ bones. Typically with a raw diet people feed whole bones to their pups, but one of my dogs doesn’t chew his food enough to make me feel comfortable enough with him eating bones every day so the meat and bone grind is my next best option. When the meat and bone grind isn’t available we use a bone powder to ensure they are getting calcium. 
    • Veggies (zucchini, squash, carrots, green beans, kale, spinach, bell peppers, sweet potatoes). We vary veggies depending on availability and to get a variety of nutrients.
    • Hard boiled eggs. Some people do raw eggs. I honestly just don’t like the mess, so we boil ours.
    • Sardines. This gives the pups some extra calcium and omegas. Plus my pups love the fishy flavor! Just make sure to get plain sardines or with olive oil. Not any of the sardines that have added spices that could be harmful to pups. 
    • CBD oil. This helps with inflammation that can be related to allergies, arthritis, and anxiety. 
    • Probiotics. This helps keep our pups’ stomachs in tip top shape! I take my own probiotic every day too.
    All meat comes from White Oak Pastures. It’s a sustainable, chemical free, and humane farm that cares about the environment and the animals being butchered. As a non meat eater, it is the only meat I will buy. All veggies come from Imperfect Foods and are organic. These veggies are ones that didn’t pass the grocery stores’ test for appearances, but are completely edible. The supplements come from I Heart Dogs which donates a portion of every purchase to help feed shelter animals.

    I recommend researching Perfectly Rawsome as a guide if you are considering a raw diet. It takes a lot of planning and nutritional education, but it’s so worth it! My pups have never been healthier and it’s definitely because of their raw diet! If raw is too much for you to handle, there are multiple fresh cooked meal kits for dogs that are still a million times better than kibble. I recommend looking into one of those if raw just isn’t an option for your pups. At the end of the day, any fresh meal with dog friendly ingredients is going to be healthier than kibble just like a fresh meal with limited processing is always best for us! Comment below with any questions or tips on what you feed your pups to stay healthy!

    Please note that I am not a nutritionist and recommend everyone do their own research to figure out what is best for their pups.


    Comments

    Popular Posts